Creu Cymru was established by and for the network of professionally-managed presenting theatres and arts centres across Wales in 2001 as the Touring Agency for Wales with a two-year Lottery grant from the Arts Council of Wales.
Following a review of our programme and management in 2006 we became the Development Agency for Theatres and Arts Centres in Wales, since then we have been the leading force in the arts sector in working to develop a vibrant, knowledgeable and progressive presenting sector working to engage and develop audiences across Wales through the promotion of high-quality and accessible work.
Our focus in on:
- Developing the professional skills and capacity of the sector through a targeted programme of Continuing Professional Development and Training activities.
- Supporting the creation of new work and initiating performances across Wales through identifying and brokering national and international collaborations with producers and practitioners.
- Working in specific priority areas such as engaging younger audiences, making work more accessible and targeting excluded groups.
- Researching and introducing new models of best-practice, based on frontline and real-time delivery and evaluation.
- Directly promoting and producing tours across the membership to meet artistic, programme and audience development needs.
- Devising and running funded and time-limited projects that further support the development of our members and the engagement of new audiences.
On behalf of the Arts Council of Wales Creu Cymru also manages “hynt”, ACW’s national card access scheme supporting the development of accessibility and inclusive arts practice for audiences across Wales.
Creu Cymru has a permanent staff of three – Nick Banwell (Director), Yvonne O’Donovan (Administrator) and Megan Merrett (Projects Administrator).