Creu Cymru: Setting the Stage for the Performing Arts in Wales
Creu Cymru champions the performing arts in Wales. It is constituted as a membership body. Our members represent virtually all of the nation’s professionally run theatres and arts centres and producing companies, at a diverse range of scales.
Creu Cymru is, first and foremost, a collaborative network; we share information, expertise, research, touring, advocacy… and above all, a will to develop programmes and audiences, ultimately improving and enhancing the sector. We work together to support an ever more resilient resource at the heart of communities across Wales.
Creu Cymru was established by and for the network of professionally-managed presenting theatres and arts centres across Wales in 2001 as the Touring Agency for Wales with a two-year Lottery grant from the Arts Council of Wales.
For 20 years Creu Cymru supported theatres, the staff within them and wider communities with training, capacity building projects, annual conference, Go & See opportunities and facilitated tours.
With an increasingly challenging fundraising environment and a need to stay relevant for members the organisation took part in the Arts Council of Wales ‘Resilience’ programme to help shape a sustainable future for the organisation.
As a result of the programme and a further review of our programme and management in 2020 we expanded our membership remit to include producing companies, to bring the performing arts sector together to speak with a collective voice, to share resources and expertise and to promote collaborative working.
The creation of this unified sector through an expanded membership ensures cross-sector representation, new collaborations and aligning of interests, and new partnerships.
STRATEGIC PRIORITY AREAS
- Equalities, diversity and inclusion
- Advocacy, research, and impact
- Workforce development, fair-work and wellbeing
- Audience development and community connection
- Showcasing and celebrating
- Environment and sustainability
In delivering this work we collaborate with a wide range of commercial and public partners in Wales, elsewhere in the UK and internationally.
On behalf of the Arts Council of Wales Creu Cymru also manages “hynt”, ACW’s national card access scheme supporting the development of accessibility and inclusive arts practice for audiences across Wales.
Creu Cymru is committed to:
- Developing a more inclusive performing arts sector in Wales.
- Continuing to develop an agile, adaptive, and audience-centric approach that improves access to professional performing arts across Wales for all and places evidence-based audience planning at the centre of decisions.
- Encouraging excellence, nurturing talent and the growth of sustainable Welsh performance makers and presenters.
- Developing Creu Cymru Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan for publication in 2021, in line with key responses to the Cultural Contract.
- Ensuring our membership and output benefits and includes people who are ethnically and culturally diverse, and who experience racism in our society, disabled people and those who work through the medium of the Welsh Language.
Embedding the Welsh Government’s Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act into organisational priorities and programmes.